By Decision of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan from May 24, 2011, conceptual approaches to the development of in-service training system for teachers were approved, providing for the development of in-service training programmes for teachers of the Republic of Kazakhstan, considering world experience and the needs of a modern school.
On June 15, 2011, the Center of Excellence of the AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools” (CoE) was established. The new format of in-service training for teachers in Kazakhstan is in demand in the country and is of great interest in the world.
There are 15 branches in all regions of the country.
Mission of the Center of Excellence
To use the best home and world experience, human and methodological resources to organize the continuous professional growth of teachers in order to improve the education system of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Vision: to be the leading organization on matters of teachers’ professional growth and actively promote educational services in the international market.
The main directions of activity of the Center of Excellence:
- development of educational programs for in-service training of teachers of the system of preschool, secondary, secondary specialized and higher education;
- trainers learning in implementing the in-service training programmes;
- online and offline training of teachers of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- post-course methodical support of teachers;
- partnership with international organisations of education aimed at experience exchange, developing strategic international relations and business cooperation;
- research activities and monitoring studies of teachers' professional development;
Achievements of the Center of Excellence
2015 – Center of Excellence of the AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools” became an official member of the World Association of Lesson Studies (WALS).
WALS (The World Association of Lesson Studies) (http://walsnet.org/) – aims to promote and advance the research and practices focused on Lesson Studies in order to improve the quality of teaching and learning in schools. Trainers of the CoE within the membership in WALS take part in international studies jointly with the leading researchers and experts of Japan and Germany, actively present Kazakhstani experience in international conferences and carry out the “Lesson Study Kazakhstan” projects in schools.
2016 – Editions of the Center of Excellence were honored of Golden Medal of the participant at Moscow International Book Exhibition (VDNH, Moscow, Russia).
2017 – Editions of the Center of Excellence were honored of Golden Medal of the participant at Frankfurt Book Fair (Frankfurt-am-Maine, Germany).
2019 – International Certification of Educational Programmes.
For the first time in the system of professional development of teachers in Kazakhstan, in-service training programmes of CoE got through external evaluation and received certificates of compliance with international quality standards (Accreditation, Certification and Quality Assurance Institute – ACQUIN (Germany)).
International experts mentioned that “…the content and organisation of the Programmes of CoE are unique not only for Kazakhstan but for the whole Central Asia, and training of teachers and head staff under these Programmes contributes to the changes in school and the entire education system”.
International recognition of the in-service training programmes, belonging to the intellectual property of the AEO and high professionalism of trainers allowed CoE to export educational services at the international level.
In a joint project between the AEO and European Union “Support to the Education Sector in Turkmenistan”, training of teachers and head staff of schools and colleges in Ashkhabad are conducted. Also, CoE conducts training of Russian Federation teachers (Tolyatti, Barnaul, Khanty-Mansiysk).
2020 – For the first time Kazakhstan participated in UNESCO-Hamdan 2019-2020 competition. The Center of Excellence was ranked in the top 10 of the world’s best projects in education for outstanding practices and achievements in improving the effectiveness of teachers.
CoE and its branches conduct in-service training courses on several directions:
- from 2012 – forward-looking training of teachers on methodology and technology of teaching and training;
- from 2014 – training of school head staff on basis of strategic leadership and effective management;
- from 2015 – training of teachers of primary, middle and high schools on implementing updated content of education;
- from 2016 – capacity building of each school through training pool of school trainers and school coordinators;
- from 2019 – implementing updated content of preschool education;
- from 2020 on the development of functional literacy;
- from 2021 on the development of the subject-methodological competence of teachers.
The course programs reflect the systemic updates taking place in education, provide teachers with up-to-date professional information, being practice-oriented and implemented in various directions. The course programs reflect the systemic updates taking place in education, provide teachers with up-to-date professional information, being practice-oriented and implemented in various directions. Offline and online training on CoE in-service training courses is available. A short description of the courses can be found by the following link: https://cpm.kz/catalog/
CoE also conducts training of heads of Departments of Education, regional/urban and oblast Methodical Cabinets, staff of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan and National Academy named after I.Altynsarin.
According to the Order of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Elbasy Nazarbayev N.A., translation of the experience of Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools to the system of education of the republic is being implemented.
Continued and systematic work of CoE trainers with teachers allowed to create effective model of methodical support both at regional/urban and school levels.
Network of Leading Schools was created on the basis of the best comprehensive schools in every region/city, that is the space of translation of the experience of Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools. The leading school constantly interacts with 8-10 other attached schools that allows them to organise experience sharing, timely support and professional development of colleagues regarding their real needs and requests.
With the aim of approaching the system of professional development to the schools, CoE prepared a pool of school trainers and coordinators on 4 directions: implementing criteria-based assessment, methodology and technology of teaching, conducting research and developing tasks for assessment.
Teachers of Leading Schools organise consulting of colleagues, students, parents on teaching and learning, conduct in-school courses on professional development, using CoE programmes, and training activities.
· Educational Portal www.cpm.kz is aimed at implementing methodical and consultancy assistance to the school teachers.
· Electronic Database www.db.cpm.kz is aimed at accounting and control of participants of the in-service training courses of the Center of Excellence.
· E- Resources Collection www.cpm.kz is aimed at sharing experience of teachers, trained at in-service training courses, teachers of Nazarbayev Intellectual schools of Humanitarian, Mathematical and Science disciplines.
· Distance-learning Portal www.sdo.cpm.kz is aimed at conducting online in-service training courses for teachers and principals of educational organisations.
www.lessonstudy.kz website is aimed at providing opportunities for Kazakhstani teachers to share their experience in conducting Lesson Study, gain access to methodological resources, up-to-date information, and consequently, to advance and develop teachers’ research and effective teaching practice